Okay, several people have asked, either myself or my sisters, what I'm doing here and what life is like. I'll try to answer that the best I can. Every morning I wake up, then I wander around in a daze for a little bit because sometimes it takes me a while to get my bearings after I've slept for a long time. Then I try to exercise for a little bit, get ready for the day and read the. After that I generally do what homework we had in language school, and I try to listen to a chapter of the Bible in Estonian. In theory, this will help me learn the language, it's still too early to tell. If I still have time to kill (I usually do), I check facebook or email, or something equally productive. Then it's off to language school!!
Every day from 12:15-1:45 we have Practical Estonian where we learn to say things like "Tere, minu nimi on Andrea. Ma olen ameeriklane, aga praegu ma elan ja õpin Tallinnas " (Hello, my name is Andrea. I'm American, but now I live and study in Tallinn). On Mondays for an hour and a half afterward we have Estonian Culture. There we learn to say things like, "Seal on Tiit; ta on külasant. Ta magab ruhis. Ei, ma ei taha jaheliha. Ma tahan mulgi kapsad. Kas laut on kaevu kõrval?" (There is Tiit; he is the village beggar. He sleeps in a dugout. No, I don't want meat jelly with bones. I want stewed sauerkraut with barley groats. Is the barn next to the well?) On Wednesdays we have Estonian History where we take field trips and our teacher tells us stories about that place. I love school. After school sometimes we have a late lunch, sometimes we just go home and relax for the rest of the afternoon. I try to play with my rabbit (that's right, my rabbit named Tumbleweed) a little bit everyday. On Monday evenings we have our Bible study, sometime during the week we have a team meeting, and then somehow every other evening is filled with something. I don't know how it happens, but there's always someplace to go. It changes depending on travel and the weather.
Our schedule has changed quite a bit since summer ended. There aren't as many trips and games at the park. Right now I want to look for a way to help the community and maybe get locals we know to join. Anyway, that's my day in a nut shell.
thats so freakin awesome! i love how you tell stories. glad to hear of such worderful learning time. thankful for where God has placed your heart.
ReplyDeleteGreat writing Andrea! Keep it up - I love hearing what's going on and what it's like over there! That's cool you have a rabbit!
ReplyDelete